Acne, blackheads, and pimples
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and rose water, apply to face with a cotton ball, and allow to sit for 30 minutes before rinsing. 15-20 days of this application helps cure pimples and also helps to remove blemishes and scars.
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected area overnight. Wash off with warm water next morning.
- For acne that hasn't seemed to respond to anything, steep 2-3 tsp. dried basil leaves in 1 cup boiling water for 10-20 minutes, cool, and apply to affected area with a cotton ball.
- Avoid drinking tea (regular, not herbal varieties) and coffee immediately after meals, as the tannin present in these interferes in the absorption of iron from the food.
- Drink a cup of herbal tea mixed with 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses each day. This provides 80% of the iron needed in one day.
- Foods rich in iron: shellfish, fish, liver, organ meats, egg yolks, pinto, kidney, lima, navy, chick peas, black-eyed peas, lentils, split peas, green peas, spinach, kale, collards, beet greens, chard, broccoli, raisins, prunes, figs, dates, dried peaches, dried apricots, nuts, peanut butter, whole grain breads.
- Your body absorbs iron from meats easier than fruits and vegetables. To aid in the absorption of iron from fruits and vegetables, eat them with a good source of vitamin C.
- A daily serving of fresh fish or fish oil capsules helps to give relief from arthritis and other joint pains.
- 3-4 walnuts eaten daily, on an empty stomach, will help.
- Mix 1 tsp. honey with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and take it at night before going to bed.
- Avoid taking aspirin, as this may invoke an asthma attack.
- Boil some cinnamon bark in a cup of water. Store it in a clean bottle in your bathroom. Use it as a mouthwash frequently.
- Parsley leaves are rich in chlorophyll, nature's own deodorizer. Chew some leaves regularly and your breath will remain fresh.
- You can chew some cardamom seeds to sweeten your breath.
- Boil 2 figs in 1 cup of water. Drink daily for a month.
Cold and flu
- If its whooping coughs, garlic is one of the best remedies. Syrup made from 2 to 3 garlic cloves should be consumed twice or thrice a day.
- If there is congestion in the throat along with cough, Bay Berry should be considered as an effective option of ayurvedic treatment for cough. The bark of the Bay Berry tree should be consumed in powdered form. It is known as an effective remedy for chronic bronchial infections as well.
- Apply a paste of crushed leaves of Betel and water on the chest of the patient for effective relief from cough.
- You could also boil some Butea leaves in water. Cool it and use this solution as an effective mouthwash for treating sore throats and coughs. This solution has excellent antibiotic properties which help curing coughs caused due to septic and throat infections.
- Sometimes, cough is a result of inflammation and infection in the pharynx. In such cases, cloves can be one of the most suitable ayurvedic remedies.
- Another effective formulation for ayurvedic treatment of cough would be to take some fenugreek seeds and boil them in water for about 30 minutes. Use this solution for gargles. It provides suitable relief.
Constipation (in adults)
- Eat a few black licorice sticks.
- Drinking ginger tea will help start a bowel movement.
Constipation (in small children)
- Soak 6-8 raisins in hot water. When cool, crush well and strain. When given routinely even to little infants, it helps to regulate bowel movement.
Coughs and asthma
- Steep 3-4 cloves of garlic in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks. Use several drops at a time, several times a day for coughs or asthma. Garlic is an exceptional cleanser for the body and has antimicrobial action similar to other antibiotics.
Damaged, dry hair
- A nourishing conditioner for dry or damaged hair which can be used for all hair types: Separate the white of an egg from the yolk, whip it to a peak. Add 1 Tbls. water to the yolk and blend until the mixture is creamy. Then mix the white and yolk together. Wet your hair with warm water, remove the excess moisture, and apply the mixture to your scalp with your fingertips. Massage gently until the froth is worked into your scalp, then rinse the hair with cool water. Keep applying the mixture until it is used up and then rinsed until all of the egg is washed away.
- Pour distilled white vinegar onto the hair, as close to the scalp as you can manage; massage into the scalp; and allow to dry for several minutes before washing as usual. Repeat daily until the dandruff disappears, usually within a few days.
Dark circles around eyes
- Make a paste out of 1 tsp. tomato juice, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric powder, and 1 tsp. of flour. Apply around eyes. Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing.
- 3/4 cup of cooked spinach a day is enough to give dramatic relief from depression if you are deficient in B vitamins.
- Eat boiled sweet potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper before bedtime to cure chronic diarrhea.
- Combine 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup warm water, 1 Tbls. vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup baking soda in a blender or food processor until you have a smooth paste. Pour this paste under the running water while drawing the bath. Very soothing to dry, itchy skin.
- Rub a whole nutmeg against a smooth stone slab with a little water and make a paste. Apply on affected parts. (Note: It is believed by some rural, old fashioned practitioners that instead of water, one's own early morning saliva can be used for better results.)
- (As per Ayurveda we should not boil honey) Simmer 1 cup honey and 3 cup water together slowly. Allow 1 cup of the water to evaporate. Strain off the top surface, and put the remaining liquid into a stoneware crock or dark bottle. Put a towel over it so it can breathe, yet be free of dirt. Place in a cool place. You can add cinnamon, clove, or the juice of 2 lemons, if you like.
- Simmer 1 cup water and 1 tsp. honey for 5 minutes. Dip a cloth in the liquid and apply to the closed eye.
- Mix 2 Tbls. cornstarch, 2 Tbls. glycerin, and 1/2 cup water until smooth. Heat in a small pan placed in a water bath inside another pan. Heat until thick and clear; it will have the consistency of pudding. Do not boil. Cool completely, Use in place of soap to cleanse your skin. (If mixture is too thick, you may thin it by adding a little water, 1 Tbls. at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.)
- Take a glass of grapefruit and lemon juice in equal parts to dispel fatigue and general tiredness after a day's work.
Gum in hair
- Soak the gum-coated hair in Coke® and it should wipe out easily.
- Eat honey on crackers. The fructose in the honey will help to flush out the alcohol in your system.
- Steep 1 tsp. fenugreek seed in 1 cup water, covered, for 10 minutes. Drink 1 cup a day to help hay fever symptoms.
- Eat 10-12 almonds, the equivalent of two aspirins, for a migraine headache. Almonds are far less likely to upset the stomach.
Only 2 remedies have I ever know to actually work. The first listed makes the most sense, since a hiccups is simply a spasm of the diaphragm, and you need to disrupt this spasm. The second offers no rhyme or reason, but works nonetheless.
- Breath in as deeply as you can, then exhale as hard as you can; repeat 10 times; when exhaling the last time, keep the air pushed out, not taking another breath for as long as you can stand. This normally works the first try, but repeat if necessary. Be sure to sit down when doing this.
- This is a remedy only feasible when sitting at a bar. Have the bartender fill a small glass with club soda. Light a match and drop it, then drink the water quickly (being careful not to drink the match). It works, but I don't know why!
- Drink 1/2 glass water, slowly.
- Keep a tsp. of sugar in your month and suck slowly.
- Suck 2-3 small pieces of fresh ginger.
- Mix water with cornstarch into a paste and apply. This is effective in drawing out the poisons of most insect bites and is also an effective remedy for diaper rash.
- Mix 1 tsp. each fresh juice of mint and lime, and 1 Tbls. honey. Take 3 times a day.
- Apply lime juice diluted with water on bites with cotton ball.
Mucus in cough
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over 1/2 tsp. each of ginger, ground cloves, and cinnamon. Filter. Sweeten with 1 tsp. honey and drink.
- Apply clove oil on the affected body parts.
- Boil 1/2 cup of rice in 1 cup of water for about 10-20 minutes. After it is boiled, drain the water into a cup and sip at the rice water until symptoms are gone.
- Mix lime juice with honey and water; drink a glass of this every morning.
- Mix 3 tsp. lime juice, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. honey, and 1 cup water; Drink 1 glass a day for 3 months.
- Mix 1 tsp. lime juice with 1 cup water and drink each morning.
- Eat a tomato before breakfast.
- For oily skin, mix 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 egg white, 1 Tbls. lemon juice, and 1/2 cup mashed apple into a smooth paste. Apply to face and leave on 15 minutes. Rinse.
- Effective at getting rid of fat, drink up to 3 cups of green tea daily. Regular tea can also be used with a lesser effect.
- Mix 3 Tbls. of honey in boiled water and drink. Honey has natural pain-relieving powers.
- Soak feet in strong tea for 20 minutes every day until the smell disappears. To prepare your footbath, brew two tea bags in 2 1/2 cups of water for 15 minutes and pour the tea into a basin containing two liters of cool water.
- Lick a little salt with the tip of your tongue whenever you feel the urge to smoke. This is said to break the habit within 1 month.
- Mix 1 tsp. lime juice and 1 Tbls. honey. Swallow tiny amounts slowly 2-3 times a day.
- Lay scotch tape over the splinter and pull off.
- Soak the area in vegetable oil for a few minutes before removing with tweezers.
- A simple cure for a stomachache is to dissolve 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon in 1 cup warm water, cover and let sit for 15 minutes, then drink it like tea. This remedy can also ease diarrhea and flatulence.
- Drink coconut water 3-4 times a day.
- Have a plateful of watermelon and/or cucumber every hour.
- Mix 2 tsp. tomato juice and 1/4 cup buttermilk. Apply to affected area. Rinse 1/2 an hour.
Toothache & mouth pain
- To ease toothache or other mouth pain, make a tea by boiling 1 Tbls. fresh peppermint in 1 cup water and adding a little salt. Peppermint is an antiseptic and contains menthol, which relieves pain when applied to skin surfaces.
- Take 2-3 tsp. black strap molasses orally daily. This also treats all kinds of circulatory ailments.
Vomiting and nausea
- Sucking a piece of ice controls vomiting.
- Eat 1/2 tsp. ground cumin seeds.
- Cinnamon and sliced ginger work by interrupting nausea signals sent from the stomach to the brain. If you are an herbal tea drinker, simply sprinkle cinnamon on the tea and drink. To make ginger tea, simmer a few slices of ginger in hot tea water.
- Try taping a slice of garlic to the wart. Be sure to first protect the surrounding skin with petroleum jelly.
- To strengthen and shine nails, combine 2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. castor oil, and 1 tsp. wheat germ oil and mix thoroughly. Pour into bottle. Shake before using. To use, rub a small amount into your nails. Leave on 3-5 minutes and tissue off. Follow up with more plain castor oil, if desired.
Wrinkles & skin freshener
- Apply coconut oil on the portions of skin and face where wrinkles set in and gently massage every night at bed time.
- Mix salt with finely powdered rind of lime. Use this as toothpowder frequently.
Disclaimer - However all remedies might or might not be directly related to ayurveda.